Aepm annual conference 2017
Call for papers
The next annual conference of the AEPM will take place 11-13 May 2017 and is being hosted by The Museum of Typography, Chania, Crete (Greece).
The theme of the conference is:
collections, collectors and the cultural role of printing museums
The conference will look at the ways in which collections of printing heritage materials become museums. Possible subjects for discussion include:
- who collects printing heritage materials?
- how is printing heritage transmitted from one generation to the next?
- what motivates founders of printing museums?
- how do collections become museums?
- how are collections made available to the public?
- what forms do independent printing museums take – associations, foundations, privately-owned companies?
- what challenges do independent collections and printing museums have to face?
The list of themes is, of course, neither exhaustive nor exclusive.
Proposals for talks are invited from museums of printing and graphic communication, and from heritage workshops, collectors and scholars involved in printing heritage.
Speakers will be allocated 30 minutes (including discussion) in which to present their papers.
A session will also be reserved for news from AEPM members.
Please note that the AEPM is unfortunately not able to remunerate speakers, who also have to cover their own travel and other costs.
Aspects of Greek printing heritage
The conference will also offer an opportunity to discover some aspects of Greek printing heritage with the help of several invited speakers:
- Yiannis Filis, former dean of the Technical University of Crete (Greece)
- Gerry Leonidas, associate professor of typography at the Department of typography and graphic communication, vice-president of ATypI (United Kingdom)
- Klimis Mastoridis, professor of typography & graphic communication, University of Nicosia, Cyprus
- George D. Matthiopoulos, lecturer in the Department of graphic design at the School of art and design of the Technological Educational Institute of Athens (Greece)
- Konstantinos Staikos, architect, book historian and researcher (Greece)
General presentation of the Association of European printing museums
General presentation of the conference
Practical information about the venue, travel and accommodation
This post is also available in: French